Dealing with Flooding: Professional Water Extraction
From flash floods to broken pipes, there are several unfortunate scenarios that can cause water damage to your home. Excess water can be disastrous for your home and belongings – especially your carpet. The only sure way to prevent damage is to clear up the water quickly through water extraction. Here are a few unexpected scenarios that homeowners could face at any time.
Water Damage Scenarios
- A Broken Water Pipe: Water pipes have a higher risk of bursting when the temperature drops, causing them to freeze. If this happens while homeowners are away, inches of water can seep into the home before the pipe is maintained.
- Washing Machine Overflow: Washing machines often experience malfunctions over time. In rare instances, these malfunctions can lead to an overflow. When a washing machine overflows, it doesn’t just leak water all over the carpets. It also leaks detergent, leaving homeowners with one soapy mess on their hands!
- Rainstorm: Most people aren’t aware that they have a leak in their roof until it begins to rain. If if rains heavily, they could face a lot of water damage.
- Sewer Back Up: This is probably the most nightmarish scenario. If a sewer near a neighborhood or home happens to back up, it can result in basements flooding with sewage. Talk about a bad day!
- Pool Leak: Backyard pools are great – until they leak and flood the homeowner’s basement. While this doesn’t happen often, it is definitely has happened, making it a scenario that pool owners should watch out for.
Dealing with Water Damage
If you happen to face one of the above scenarios, there are a few things you can do to minimize water damage before calling a professional.
- First, look for the source of the water and attempt to contain it. If it is safe, remove all electrical devices and valuables from the areas with excess water.
- To prevent rust stains from furniture, remove smaller pieces of furniture to a different room. If furniture is too large to move, you can place aluminum foil under the furniture legs.
- Prepare your home for a professional water extraction company to come in and clean up the water. Don’t be tempted to clean up the water with an electric vacuum, as this can be incredibly dangerous. Additionally, don’t use fans until you have consulted with a professional. This could make matters worse, particularly if sewage is in the mix.
Professional Water Extraction
Because home flooding often occurs unexpectedly. There usually aren’t many preventative measures. Luckily, carpet companies like Steamway Carpet Cleaning have perfected their water extraction methods. If you live in the El Paso area and are in need of help with flooding, we are here to help you get your home back to normal.