Carpet Spills: What Stains and What You Can Do About It
It’s bound to happen eventually. You’re walking through the living room when you bump into a table and BAM! Your glass of wine topples over onto the carpet. Or picture this: no matter how many times you ask them not to, your children still eat in the living room and one day their plates get the best of them and end up on the floor. Spaghetti sauce lands everywhere, a meatball tumbles around the carpet, a fork flies in the air and manages to fling noodles and sauce to the other side of the room. Now, you’ve got a real mess. Sometimes, when you spill things on your carpet, the stain comes out easily with some water. Other times, this is far from the case. Let’s review what stains and what doesn’t and what you can do to remove stains from your carpet for good.
Beware of Spots: What Will Stain Your Carpet
There are so many things we keep in our homes that can stain our carpets. Some of the worst culprits include:
- Wine- Wine is such a tough carpet stainer that it has become a trope, a meme even, throughout various media. It doesn’t matter if you have light or dark colored carpets, if you spill wine, your carpet can be toast.
- Bleach- Bleach can ruin any kind of fabric. Unlike other carpet stains, bleach stains are pretty much impossible to remove.
- Soda- Dark sodas can also be a culprit for carpet stains so be sure to be careful when drinking soda in a room with carpet.
- Coffee- No matter how much creamer you put in your coffee, it can be a real carpet killer. Coffee is dark and strong, making it one of carpet’s mortal enemies.
- Ink- As carpet cleaners, we try to remain unbiased, but ink stains are the worst. They’re hard to remove and honestly, can happen in a surprise burst from a pen, so even when you’re careful, it can still happen.
Other things that can totally kill your carpets include blood and other bodily fluids, pet stains, and mud. Our carpets are also home to tons of germs and bacteria. Proper steam cleaning can help to not only keep your carpet clean and stains at bay, it can also help you and your family be safe from harmful bacteria.
What You Can Do
There are many things you can do to keep your carpets clean. While a simple Google search can help to find the best stain remover, these are usually only temporary or partial fixes. Your best bet is to opt for a steam cleaning from a reputable carpet cleaning company. Steam cleaning effectively removes germs, stains, and bacteria from your carpet, so you don’t have to worry.