Why Carpet Cleaning is a Must — Six Unsettling Facts About Carpets
If you think professional carpet cleaning is a luxury rather than a necessity, you may want to think again. From food particles to pet dander to skin cells, carpets are hotspots for the gross remnants of our daily lives. General vacuuming may make our carpets look clean, but it won’t rid them of the 200,000 bacteria that take up every square inch of our carpet. Literally – that’s 200,000 bacteria per square inch! The team at Steamway Carpet Cleaning has a few more unsettling facts about carpets for our clients!
Unsettling Facts About Carpets
- Philip Tierno Jr., Ph.D., a microbiologist and immunologist, has a lot to say about carpets. According to his research, our carpets are typically 4,000 times dirtier than our toilet seats!
- The average human sheds 1.5 million skin cells each hour. Many of these cells get embedded in carpets and serve as food for bacteria and dust mites.
- Roughly 43 million tons of dust fall in the United States each year. Research indicates that air inside of homes typically collects twice as much dust as outdoor air. A large portion of this dust settles into knocks, crannies, and carpets, secretly taking over our houses and our lives.
- Fleas and moths are attracted to the dry and warm environments that carpets offer. If the carpets are dirty, they provide extra insulation for disgusting bugs.
- Carpet cleaning with commercial vacuum cleaners typically don’t reach the bottom of the carpet. While the surface of the carpet may appear clean, it may actually be teeming with germs that are ready to attack.
- According to the American Lung Association, dirty carpets can be especially problematic for people who suffer from breathing conditions such as snoring or asthma. The dust, dander, and particle pollution that lives in carpets can negatively impact our ability to breathe – and flourish in our own homes.
Carpet Cleaning Advice
- To avoid severe dirt and particle build up in your carpets, vacuum thoroughly at least once a week. Pay special attention to high traffic areas where people track dirt from outdoors, but don’t forget the corners and baseboards – dust always tries to hide there.
- Don’t be afraid to push down hard with the vacuum cleaner. Doing so will help it suck up some of the dirt that is embedded deep beneath the surface of the carpet.
- To eliminate odors, try putting baking soda into your vacuum cleaner bag. It will disperse throughout the house and absorb odor causing bacteria.
- Carpets should be professionally cleaned every year. This will not just ensure that carpets are truly clean, but it will help promote the longevity of your carpet.
Carpet Cleaners in El Paso
Now that you know the unsettling facts about dirty carpets and the necessity of maintaining carpet cleanliness, the next step is finding an affordable carpet cleaning service that you can trust. At Steamway Carpet Cleaning, we offer professional deep cleaning services that is sure to send all your carpet bacteria running and screaming. Contact Steamway Carpet Cleaning today for more information!